Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Read and Write Data to Excel without Installing Office

I am working on a WPF 4.0 application which uses the Microsoft Office Interop to read and write to Excel files. But I am facing a scenario where I need to read/write data from/to Excel files on systems that do not have Office installed.



This is somewhat a repeat of this question. The only reason I reposted this question because the earlier post was 3 years old and I just wanted to know if there is a better way available right now.



The requirement is that I need to write into and save the file as .xls/.xlsx formats and read from the same. I am supporting both the format using the Interop right now.




  • Buying a license is not an option.

  • Installing Excel is not an option.

  • Need to Support Read/Write from .xls/.xlsx formats.

  • Easy to Implement as I am a little behind schedule. Would not be able to give a lot of time on implementation.

  • Need a solution that is trustworthy and robust, meaning it should be something that you have used personally or have a good feedback about.

  • Would prefer a solution that can cater to both read/write and can support both .xls/.xlsx formats. If something like this doesn't exist, can use different solutions, but all the above points would apply to them individually.

  • Don't need suggestions, but more like guidance.



Please do not vote to close this question as duplicate as the other ones do not give a concrete solution. There are too many suggestions. I need a solution that you are confident about as this application goes into final build soon and if I do not get any robust solution to this, we might end up releasing as is.





No comments:

Post a Comment