Friday, April 20, 2012

Increase Alphanumeric VARCHAR Entry by Value 1?

On an old project because of not thought through design I have a column which actually should be set to auto_increment, though it cannot be because it are alphanumeric entries as follows:



c01
c02
c03


(c99 would continue to c100 and more), the letter happened in the past and it would require to overhaul the system to take it out, thus I rather prefer this workaround.



Now I need a way to imitate the auto_increment functionality with the SQL statement myself, my own attempt has gotten as far as the following:



INSERT INTO tags (tag_id, tag_name, tag_description, added_by_user_id, creation_date, last_edited) VALUES (SELECT(MAX(tag_id)+1), 

'Love', 'All about love', 7, now(), 0);


This one does not work as is, though the idea was to select the highest entry in the column "tag_id" and then simply increase it by the value 1.



Any ideas how to accomplish this?



By the way I am also not sure if you simply can increase an alphanumeric entry through this way, though I know it can be done, I just don't know how.





No comments:

Post a Comment